Monday 16 February 2015

Art and Friendship

“In the sweetness of friendship let there be laughter, and sharing of pleasures. For in the dew of little things the heart finds its morning and is refreshed.”
Khalil Gibran

They say that art is a solitary pursuit, and it’s true that we artists spend many hours alone in our studio quietly painting. However the more that I paint, the more I realise that there is a wonderful social side to art. It’s about connecting. We paint because we want to show the world what we see. 

Scarlet Tiger Moth by Claire Ward
Sharing the results of our creative endeavours with others, makes art all the more pleasurable.
Just as a flower needs sunshine and water, we need a little bit of encouragement and friendship to grow.

 Eyed Hawkmoth (Smerinthus ocellatus) on vellum by Dianne Sutherland Ball

Thankfully connecting with others is easier than ever. The internet has literally thrown open the doors of our studios, allowing us to engage with likeminded people on a daily basis. I am constantly amazed at how generous people can be with their time, thoughts and advice. Their enthusiasm for art and passion for nature is both inspiring and motivating. I am constantly learning from them and discovering new things. 

Thistle on vellum by Sharon Tingey
Best of all, I have made some really fantastic friends through art. It brings me such joy to see their paintings and to hear about the projects that they are working on. When a friend achieves success, I share in their excitement. When I put up images of my work online, they in turn give me encouraging and often insightful feedback. Even when things aren't going to plan, there is always someone will always be ready to offer advice or suggest a solution.

A wonderfully thoughtful parcel of gifts that arrived unexpectedly last week. 
Being part of a vibrant online art community is an incredibly rewarding experience. I'm delighted to say that it's not just online too. I have been getting all sorts of treats and surprises in the post- paints and brushes, natural treasures, papers, books and even some beautiful art. Art swaps are also a great way of making friends and sharing that creative spirit.

"It's a wonderful thing being able to paint together all the time and grow as artists together." 
Scott Burdick

Three sketchbooks from the Natural Sketchbook Exchange. One of the artists has made some beautiful covers for each book
Art can also lead to some wonderful collaborations. I'm thrilled to be part of the Natural Sketchbook Exchange which a group of talented friends started a year ago. The concept is simple- we all started with a Stillman & Birn sketchbook, took our inspiration from Nature and then posted it on. 

Terri Dauncey's beautiful sketchbook and my page of feathers about to be stuck in!
Isn't this amazing? A beautiful page of flowers and a little landscape by Giovanni Cera in Terri's sketchbook

Beautiful birch trees by artist Lorraine Adams with my page of prickles
Debbie Crawford's lovely raspberry ripple peonies in Lorraine Adam's sketchbook

Inspiring work by Aislinn Adams in Dianne Sutherland Ball's sketchbook

My conkers about to go into Dianne Sutherland Ball's sketchbook
Watching the sketchbooks slowly fill up with artwork has been such a thrill, each one is so unique and special. Recently we took a short break just to give ourselves a chance to catch up with our lives, and that's why I have ended up with three of gorgeous sketchbooks here in my home.
Oh, they are such a joy to look through! I’m reluctant to part with them, but have the excitement of getting the next one in the post very soon.

A calendar and a card from Elizabeth H Tudor
And even as I write this blogpost, I hear a knock at the door, and another parcel has just arrived! This time it is from Canada with a lovely calendar and a card. Thank you Liz! What a fantastic surprise!

Art is not just a solitary pursuit, it’s definitely a social one too. It has made me realise that I am truly blessed with my friends. To each and every one of you, thank you for the kind words, the encouragement, the advice, the good wishes, the art, the gifts and for the smile that you put onto my face each day.

"I cannot even imagine where I would be today were it not for that handful of friends who have given me a heart full of joy. Let's face it, friends make life a lot more fun."
Charles Swindoll


18 comments:

  1. I agree with you heartily, Shevaun! I too paint because I "want to show the world what I see", and think of art as a community activity. I think one of your gifts is bringing people together, so you have an important contribution to make to the artistic community in more ways than one! I am happy to be one of your online friends, and hope to actually meet your personally one day! Best wishes!! <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Janene, I really hope we can meet up too one day!! We certainly are walking the same path together. Thank you so much for the kind words. Sending good wishes and positive thoughts back to you too xx

      Delete
  2. I've created a "book of comfort" as I call it, filling it with favorite quotes which I illustrate, turning to it when I need a lifting of spirit. The Gibran quote will be entered today.

    How glorious to see all that beautiful work. I want to see more work from these wonderful artists and will most likely spend a good part of today Googling them. Once again, thank you for brightening my day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. E.M, isn't it the loveliest quote? There are so many quotes by Khalil Gibran that express the moment so perfectly. If you click on the names of the artists in the blogpost, it should take you to their work. In some cases they don't have a website, so you can see their work on facebook. I wish I could show you the sketchbooks in person. They are so inspiring! My photographs don't do them justice. Thanks for commenting- you brighten my day too.

      Delete
  3. I am looking forward to the day when I will be able to put together what I see and paint a picture of it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You will do it , Carmelle. Patience and practice are the key ingredients. Best of luck.

      Delete
  4. I really enjoy all of your blog posts but this one is especially touching. Before the Internet my audience was a very limited one and it was difficult to stay motivated enough to produce work on a regular basis. Having an audience is all well and good but having a knowledgeable, and thirsty, audience is down right inspiring. I have learned so much from generous artists and do so enjoy "paying it forward". I'm so glad to have met you, am greatly inspired by your work and hope that whatever I have to give finds some resonance with you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Laura, you are definitely one of the very generous souls out there. Thank you for these lovely words. xx

      Delete
  5. you know, i don't know why i paint!, i started out as a chicklet painting.... i was always doing something 'artsy'
    i worked in porcelain for a long time as well ..... which ironically seems to have made me a better painter!
    i paint because i can NOT not paint...
    does that make sense?
    i don't think i paint for the world to see....more like to make sure i see clearly.....
    (don't quote me as i haven't slept much in the past few days, the coffee hasn't kicked in, and i am almost certain i have reincarnated as a dead cockroach)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Vi, you may not know why you paint, but you're the chattiest person that I know. You love people. Now go and get more coffee xx

      Delete
    2. oh my...... i probably should shut up .....maybe remind me.....
      i'm so used to chattering to the animals......
      think of me as maybe a very overgrown budgie?

      Delete
  6. Thank you for your inspiring blog, Shevaun. I so much enjoy your company and art.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Likewise, Jenni. I'm happy that we have met. Thank you

      Delete
  7. I need to set aside some time to visit all these people mentioned in this post. I LOVE connecting. Thanks for making it possible.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't the internet fantastic, Candice! Yes, it's definitely worth checking out the works of these artists... all incredibly talented!

      Delete
  8. Inspiring stuff Shevaun. I think the sketchbook exchange is a demonstration of great generosity on the part of all the artists involved. I too love the idea of wanting to show the world what we see - that's exactly why I paint. It is like grabbing someone's attention so you can point out the amazing sheen on a petal or the beautiful curve of a leaf. People often don't bother to look. Keep up the good work of bringing everyone together with your humour an creativity.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kathy, that's it exactly! It's like saying "Look at the wonderful textures on this conker case", or the "Look at the sumptious colours of these petals". Ah, we have a wonderful vocation, don't we? Thank you very much for the kind words. Best of luck with the RHS exhibition. Your work is always such an inspiration to me, to us all.

      Delete
    2. Thanks for your good wishes. And yes it IS a vocation - the plants are calling to us all the time.

      Delete

I love the feedback so please feel free to comment. Thank you!